May 25, 2007

Time for an Eelpout

The Finnish make for some great fishermen, and have the honor of coming across some of the ugliest fishies out there. Janne, of Espoo, Finland, pointed me in the direction of the Burbot (lota lota) fish. Their size is directly proportionate to their ugliness.

These fish can't be had in Scandinavia, however. No, their home lies in the northern reaches of North America. So if any of ya'll Canadians or Minnesotans want to host an eelpout, here's your fish.

Thanks for the link, Janne.


Note: This fish is not in its natural environment. That is an apartment, not the bottom of a Canadian lake.

Photo source: Keijo Lehtinen


6 comments:

Arachnophile said...

Oh those crazy scandinavians... I know cuz I is one. ;)

The next step is to stick the fish in a hole and cover it with lye until the stench is perfect.

I held a burbot once and yeah, they are supernatural ugly.

Anonymous said...

Well, this fish are also common in some regions of central Europe.

Anonymous said...

That's a lotta, lotta fish! (Hah! I kill me!)

Actually, the other common names slay me, too, particularly "spineless catfish" and "lawyer"...

Raging Wombat said...

I didn't know that, Sordes. Thanks for the update.

Arachnophile said...

LOL - lawyer...

The burbot I held had been shocked along with all the trout and other fish we were clearing out of an irrigation canal. While all the other fish were VERY... stunned, the burbot was all, "What the HECK! Unhand me you apes!" tough fish.

DeKreeft27 said...

I am considering competing in the Eelpout Festival this year. You happen to be in the Midwest and feel like making a totally unnecessary trip? - Andrew from Zooillogix