May 16, 2007

Even Among Scorpions

Our good buddy Jade has sent in several more delectibles for our enjoyment. This particular photo is meaningful to me, seeing as my wife is pregnant.

I'm just glad that my wife isn't equipped with 'hot venom' like this red bark scorpion (babycarus jacksoni), because that would make the delivery process much more dangerous for me, seeing as I am her coach. I'm not going to touch the whole twenty-babies-at-a-time thing.

As a side note, these babies were born live, not hatched, and crawled right on to mommy's back. Even among scorpions you can find better maternal instincts than among some human females.

Congratulations, Mrs. Red Bark Scorpion (and you, too, Jade).

6 comments:

Jade said...

I liked your link. I didn't realize these guys could multiple clutch like that. Hopefully I get even more babies soon :)

Miss Cellania said...

Congratulations on your soon-to-be blessed event!

Anonymous said...

Interesting link - "Scorplings"? Great word!

Arachnophile said...

OOooohhh! So CUTE! I didn't realize that these guys gave birth live. [SpockVoice]"Fascinating"[/Spock Voice]

Anonymous said...

Just thought that I should note that the mums keep their babies close so that they can eat them...
I read somewhere that since it is difficult for scorpion mums to pick up small bugs (like ants) in those big claws they let the little scorpions eat the ants and then eat the little scorpions which are much easier to grab... so much for the good mothering

Raging Wombat said...

So, Em, you're saying she gives birth to snacky-cakes? Eek.