Jan 29, 2009

Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign

Some days you just don't want to be bothered. You've had enough. You want to sun your scaly hide on the bank of a palm-lined swamp and not be bothered by humans swimming nearby, or having those same humans molest you. Where's an alligator to go to find such a sanctuary?

Why, beneath a sign just like this one. Such a smart gator.

Christie (who has a fantastic blog named Observations of a Nerd, devoted to all things biological), found this guy in the Boyd Hill Nature Preserve in St Petersburg, FL. I imagine he wouldn't mind being fed, but that's the price he's willing to pay for some peace and quiet.

In the second shot you can see just how at peace he is. Don't worry, little gator, I won't molest you. And I'll take my swim trunks and find another, less fangy hole in which to get swim.

Thanks for the photos, Christie.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molesting alligators...I bet you there's someone, somewhere on the internet who's into that.

Alison said...

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that alligator burp up a fanny pack. Some people, the more you tell them not to do something...

(Word verification: chite. Famous last word?)

Danielle said...

I wonder what made them have to add that to the sign...You know stuff doesn't get made into a rule until it gets broken...

What sick effer molested a gator? I'm sure it was the last thing he did.

Jessica Olin said...

Who'd molest this peaceful sweetie? Snug as a bug in a rug, all snoozin' away. Awwwwww.

Vanessa said...

It is as if he is there doing his job and backing up what the sign is saying. Just in case some tourist comes along and starts thinking 'is it really that dangerous to swim?' And there he is to prove it! Good gator, he is helping the public to stay safe.
I wonder what type of person sees 'molest me' in that face? I guess there must be some idiots who will try it. People still approach rattlesnakes too.
Very gorgeous creature!

SiddX said...

At my old apartment complex in Boca Raton, we had a small lake in the center of the complex. Posted every so often was a sign advising residents to not let pets or small children play on the banks of the lake or they might become gator food.

Anonymous said...

Awh come now. That's just a little fella. =P I get gators bigger than that crawling on the banks not two minutes from the drive-way. Lol. I believe when they say molest, they don't actually mean molest in the literal sense of the word. I believe it is more along the lines of teenagers being pricks and trying to throw things at them or provoke them. Honestly I'm rooting for the gator when people do stuff like that.

Grow big and strong Little Gator,then go terrorize a New York Sewer System.(Obscure movie reference)

The Gravekeeper said...

There's just something so...peaceful about sleeping reptiles. I mean, sure, most mammals curl up to sleep, but reptiles...I don't know. It's like they just completely shut out the world and have this aura of comfort to them when they doze.

Anonymous said...

For me it's the other way around...The word used to only mean 'to bother'so accusing someone of molesting a child doesn't sound like they did anything henious. There's a much better word for it but I can't remember it now, but even 'assult' would come out better...