Jun 18, 2009

Huntswoman Spiderette

Tracy is a fellow arachnophobe, which makes her far braver than I am for having placed her hand so close to the object of her fear. That's a female huntsman spider (huntswoman spider, or huntsman spiderette?) with her wee spiderlings in tow. Perhaps they were out for a family outing, which is why Tracy had the wits to first close her bedroom window before grabbing the camera and placing her hand in mortal peril.

She said that this by no means the largest huntsman she has encountered. She's had one the size of a man's hand in her house. I assume she means that the spider was bigger than my own man's hand, which is currently curled up so I can suck my thumb to soothe myself as I write this post. One-handed typing is awkward.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A TRUE arachnaphobe would run screaming for the hills before putting a hand that close...I know I would. blehh

Tracy- sender inner said...

I am trying to not so much cure my arachnophobia but to manage it. I think taking this pic was a step forward in my progress.

Anonymous said...

Spiders have a long symbolic association with luck and abundance. Perhaps Tracy-sender-inner will be blessed with same for her bravery in the face of spiderlings and their mother. :)

Nicole said...

I don't know what's more frightening, momma or babies!

Yanicke said...

yup Tracy is right --- that is a small ass huntsman!!! Just so everyone knows --- here in queensland its not unusual to find huntsman spiders roaming about your inside your house and they are often way bigger than that!!! and sometimes they come in pairs!!! and they jump too!!!!

Unknown said...

Jump??? I would run in fear!!