Nov 21, 2009

Fly Swatter

With about 5,000 species described and representing 13% of all known spider species, jumping spiders (Salticidae) comprise the only group of spiders that I like. Most are tiny, they don't spin webs (save for the tethers they use to jump with), and they eat pests in my house. Here's proof positive:

Photo source: ej



















My property in the Sacramento Valley is blessed with an abundance of jumping spiders. Still, I'd gladly enlist more. I wonder just how many of the dead flies I find lining my window sills would reveal jumping spider bites if I put them under a magnifying glass...

3 comments:

Nicky said...

I'm new to your blog but I find it to be pretty fascinating. Even though I have a huge fear of spiders (from the tiniest jumping spider to the big ass ones) I always click on your posts that include them. I don't know why. Thanks for the entertainment! hahah

Kristina said...

That spider is adorable. Almost belongs on cute overload if it didn't eat the insides of its prey.

Unknown said...

I am not sure which I dislike more, spiders or flies, but this is an amazing photo!