Feb 2, 2009

Of Sexual Dimorphism

Sexual dimorphism is an interesting thing. Thanks to it, as a card-carrying male Homo sapiens sapiens, I'm possessed of physical prowess, tremendous hunting skills, the ability to fend off rival males, the intellect needed to understand spacial relationships and perceive potential threats...(...um, er, not really, but I make a meager salary in accounting...).

Among celebes crested macaques, sexual dimorphism bestows upon the females a large, pink, pillowy buttocks. I'll keep my salary, and you macaque ladies keep your bottoms. I think we'll be happier that way. I wouldn't know how to sit down, and you wouldn't be able to keep up with the mortgage payments (a task I have yet to master).

Photo source: Yahoo!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there's a celebes crested macaque version of Sir Mix-a-Lot?

Anonymous said...

Celebes crested macaque got back!

Cat said...

What's she gonna do with all that junk up in her trunk?

W. A. Whipple said...

Thank you for showing me (yet again) why I am glad H. sapiens doesn't have estrus in the manner of smaller primates. As if PMS wasn't bad enough... *shudder*

W. A. Whipple said...

BTW, that female's posterior will be less... inflated... when she's no longer fertile. Even if it is a cyclical thing, it still looks really uncomfortable.

Unknown said...

If I didn't know that was normal, I would seriously think something was wrong what that monkey.

As a female homo sapien, I agree we have evolved a slightly better alternative to this kind of estrus.

Anonymous said...

Built in bean bag!

Anonymous said...

Built-in airbags.

Anonymous said...

J.Mo!

Anonymous said...

There's a cartoon idea coming from that "built-in airbag comment..."

Alison said...

Gives a whole new meaning to "fanny pack."

Denita TwoDragons said...

I will never gripe about my bedonkedonk butt anymore...

--TwoDragons