Mar 25, 2006

You Are What You Eat

Here is a shoebill. This Central African bird is the source of much controversy in the ornithology and birdwatching community. Is it a type of stork or heron or pelican? Or is it a bird in its own class?

I can't answer any of those. All I can say is that it is ugly, and is therefore welcome here.

Their primary source of food is the African lungfish - a very ugly fish. "You are what you eat" has never been truer than with this bird.

Stay tuned for a look at the lungfish ...

Photo courtesy: www.ueba.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin, I know this isn't exactly right, but this sinister angry looking bird reminds me of Sam the Eagle. Go to this site to see kind of what I mean. http://
memebrs.tripod.com/~muppets/Sam1.jpg

Raging Wombat said...

Wow, the glare is very similar!