Feb 1, 2010

Temminckii

Behold the armored head of North America's largest turtle. The alligator snapping turtle (Macrochelys temminckii) weighs in on average at 100 kg (220 lbs). But back in 1937 a 403 lbs turtle was reportedly found in the Neosho River in Kansas.


This snapper gets its Latin name from Coenraad Jacob Temminck, a Dutch zoologist. Being able to stick my name to the likes of this monster would have been the greatest accomplishment of my professional life. As for me, well, I'll have to settle for all the docs and spreadsheets that have me listed as the 'author'.

2 comments:

ⓕⓐⓑⓘⓞⓛⓐ♥ said...

gross.! look at it's eye.!!! it kinda looks like caulie-flower (sp) with a black molding spot in the middle.... GROSS.!!!

Unknown said...

Holy mother of... Lookit him. Looks like he could tango with Godzilla and give him a run for his money...