Jun 19, 2008

Spew The Regurgitated Toad

When Jackson Crews, a professional Australian rugby player, threw some unwanted meat pies and pasties on the lawn for his dogs, little did he know that he was placing his dog in mortal danger.

Bella, one of the dogs, began wolfing down the pies. In her eagerness, she spotted a cane toad and swallowed it whole. Crews saw this and called a local animal hospital, for he knew that cane toads are lethally toxic to anything that tries to eat them. They instructed the rugby player to bring his dog in immediately.

The hospital staff gave the dog two injections of vomit-inducing chemicals, and on the second heave the dog regurgitated the toad. Just imagine everyone's surprise when the toad, upon further inspection, had emerged vomit-covered but completely unharmed. And that was after 40 minutes in Bella's stomach. They named the toad Spew, though I might have gone for Jonah.

Photo source: Northern Territory New via Telegraph.uk.co

Bella is doing just fine. Swallowing the toad whole as opposed to chewing it first was instrumental to her survival.


Anonymous said...

WOW, that is one lucky dog!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you have to read this article from Zooillogix. It involves a dog that got hooked on licking cane toads! She became a cane toad addict! Personally, I don't know what I'd do if my dog became a toad fiend. It's not like Lady has to hold down a job or has puppies to feed or anything.

And yes, Spew is mentioned in the article.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Bella's okay. We've had to induce vomitting in our dogs before, but never for something so dangerous.

Arallyn said...

wow, most dogs chew on the toads and end up with a much worse fate...