May 8, 2008

Baboon Mocking

I've been mocking baboons for more than two years now. I've pointed at their swollen red butts and laughed. I've cheered on lions in chase of fleeing baboons.

Photo source: Knuttz.net


















But it's a good thing to be reminded that I've got to have a healthy respect for those fangs. If someone were to set up a cage match between me and a baboon (I'm not sure why I'd sign up for that), the baboon would emerge the victor (assuming the baboon even saw my pasty self as a threat worthy of attacking in the first place).

I'll continue to mock baboons, but only with a CRT monitor, Cat-5 cabling, several servers, and temporal displacement between me and them.

9 comments:

Veralfar said...

By the gods! It looks like Jim Carrey!

Anonymous said...

Gina Bouza was a female Italian wrestler in the 1940s or 1950s (sorry, can't remember exactly). She was quite formidable, and when she beat down all her human opponents after a few years, her manager started putting her in the ring with animals. He paired her with a baboon, and the baboon killed her literally within seconds of being tossed into the ring.

Abigail said...

Oh wow... being killed by a baboon would suck enough in the wild. Being killed by a baboon because your manager talked you into fighting it...well, words fail me.

Anonymous said...

I imagine it was a shock. The baboon snapped her neck.

Raging Wombat said...

Wow, Yvonne. I had no idea that a human had actually tried to wrestle a baboon. That brilliant trainer killed his golden goose.

Anonymous said...

I would never, ever consider mocking a baboon without at least Cat-5e cables, perhaps even Cat-6!

Cat-5 really doesn't provide adequate protection. Studies prove it!

Raging Wombat said...

mf, I'm not that up on my network hardware. I'll take your word for it.

Arachnophile said...

Yvonne - everything you said just confirms my beliefs about the formidable nature of the 'boons, and the inevitable stupidity of people.

Anonymous said...

There is a picture of Gina Bouza on the wall of the bar of Buca di Beppi at Rush and Grand in Chicago. The narrative with it tells the story of the baboon.