Dec 15, 2009

Rooting for the Mites

Photo source: Michael F. Bernard
I know every creature has its place in the ecosystem, even giant water bugs and mites. But water bugs bite me, and no ecosystem should have something like that. It doesn't help that this picture was taken less than an hour from my home.

So I'm rooting for the mites clinging to the back of this water bug. I'm hoping they aren't hanging on for a ride (phoresy), but that they're really drilling down into the meat of this predator and sucking its juices. I know they won't bring the beast down, but I admire their tenacity.

2 comments:

Arachnophile said...

LOL, but dear Wombat - the giant water bugs are such fascinating predators of the ponds and puddles I grew up poking around in... I LURVE them, but then again I also love those 8 legged friends that give you The Willies. ;)

I love my invert friends but I find parasitism MUCH scarier than some of the big biters of the bug world. :)

Again, sorry I've not been on much, Merry Christmas!

Raging Wombat said...

Welcome back, Heather!