Dec 2, 2009

Blue and Red

I didn't believe it at first. Is the Mwanza Flat-headed Rock Agama (Agama Mwanzae) for real? Does Spiderman really have a reptilian cousin?

It seems that he does. This Sub-Saharan African lizard is becoming all the rage among pet owners. And even though I abominate fad pets (or rather, the fad itself), I must admit to feeling an urge to own one of these. Of course, it's only the male that sports such color. Show offs.

Thanks for the fad lizard, Ida.

Photo source: mpgoodey


14 comments:

Sabina E. said...

so beautiful! Male animals are usually more interesting to look at than female animals. Peacocks and certain types of birds, for instance.

It's all for mating rituals, in order to look beautiful to attract female partners.

Anonymous said...

You need that lizard like a hole in the head...

Linz said...

I saw a picture of this lizard a month or so ago, and just started laughing in my office. It truly does look like Spiderman's sidekick. By the way, I agree with you re: fad pets. Too many people end up getting tired of their "fad pets" and give them up to the shelter or just toss them away. *shakes fist*

niner said...

How cuuuuuuute! I will rescue all the fad lizards that are abandoned. <3

Anonymous said...

i agree three(!), plus it's horrible with the more dangerous and bigger pets *cough cough big cats cough*
to niner: good luck with that^-^

TS Hendrik said...

Those colors are absolutely wild

Veech said...

Seems that he met a spraycan :)
interesting

Myne said...

Very catchy color I agree.

Adorably Dead said...

Spider lizard, spider lizard, does exactly what a spider lizard does. :p

Andrea said...

I find it absolutely wonderful...

Deidra said...

WOW.

Anonymous said...

i'm here to see the pretty colors again and ask if you could drop by me new bloggy
http://mineyourseverbodygoalsof2010.blogspot.com
thanks!
i think word thingy is actually a word!

Xin said...

Looks like a frog.

glassofmilk said...

His colors remind me of Spiderman