Dec 27, 2009

Daddy-long-legs of the Deep

Sander sent the arrow crab of Bay Islands, Honduras along, and reminded me of a dark memory I had while scuba diving years ago. We were in the Sea of Cortez diving a wrecked tug boat. It was gloomy and eerie and perfect until I looked into the corners and windowsills and saw that they were inhabited by crabs not unlike this crab: the daddy-long-legs of the ocean. Arachophobes such as I can never get a reprieve from our fears, even at 60 feet below (and this one has pincers).

6 comments:

flying eagle woman said...

oh crazy! this is one of my favorite stops in the WORLD!!! Thanks for making my day better!

flying eagle woman said...

oh crazy! this is one of my favorite stops in the WORLD!!! Thanks for making my day better!

Raging Wombat said...

No, no. Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

"Arachophobes such as I can never get a reprieve from our fears, even at 60 feet below (and this one has pincers)."

-You should see the spider-like things in space.

samii said...

my teacher used to have one of these! it was awesome to watch

Nicole said...

This gave me chills just looking at the picture. Thanks for reminding me why I haven't been scuba diving!