Dec 17, 2008

Spiders, Bats, and Vipers Oh My

Here are a few more species recently discovered in Greater Mekong, as brought to you by Nerva, Sherry, and Laura. I've cherry picked the animals for the purposes of this site, so you may want to go to the original article to read up on a rare rabbit, a furry ROUS, a snake, and a few others.

Every cache of newly discovered creatures always includes the token spider. In this case we have two, both of the Heteropoda genus. I'm sure you arachnophiles will be happy to find yet another huntsman spider.

Here's Heteropoda maxima...



















and Heteropoda dagmarae


















And of course there are bats (can you explore new Laotian caves and not find them?) Both are wooly bats. First off, Kerivoula kachinensis...


















and Kerivoula titania.


















No survey of virgin jungle terrain can fail to turn up a new snake. Here's Grumprechts green pitviper (Trimeresurus grumprechti). He does look grumpy. I don't think he appreciates having been discovered.

13 comments:

Robot Nine said...

Seems nothing sweet and cuddly is there, or did you just pick the creepy. Oh, yes, Ugly Overload, silly me... Robot Nine

Anonymous said...

Wow... the photo of that snake is absolutely gorgeous!
The vibrant color is just stunning.

Anonymous said...

Love the spider's handlebar mustachio. I want to ask him for either a shot of whiskey or a shave.

Anonymous said...

Research Assistant: Westley, what about the the Laotian Rock Rat?

Prestigious Researcher Westley: Laotian Rock Rat? I don't think they exist.


BTW, The Laotian Rock Rat looks amazingly friendly, cute and cuddly. I, for one, would never stab it or roll it into a fire spurt.

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison said...

Ok, Wombat, remember the hippo comment? The first spider picture more than makes up for it. It actually made me shiver.

Now, if anyone asks me why I don't like spiders, I can just point to that picture.

Vanessa said...

Love the second spider picture especially, she has a little tail like a bunny! How adorable.

Nervavels said...

First spider - large as a dinner plate. I wonder if I can have it as a pet....

Raging Wombat said...

Glad I could please, Flartus. But I'm not through yet...

Jessica Olin said...

I also got shivers from the first spider. I'm not an arachnophobe, but that spider could convert me. *shivering as I check under my desk YET AGAIN for spiders*

Loved the anon ref to ROUSes, btw.

Raging Wombat said...

Love the Princess Bride reference, too. :)

Can't go wrong with one of those.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I dont think I've ever seen a fuzzier tarantula! It *almost* makes me feel warm, fuzzy, and cuddly inside! If it weren't a tarantula. Now isn't that weird!

Nonexistant Black Feather said...

I knew that millipede pic looked familiar... I saw these in an article the other day. I didn't see the striped rabbit though, that's really cool (from the link you posted). And I really like the furry-tailed rat. And the pit viper!