Dec 19, 2008

Snub-nosed Monkeys

I've posted on a lot of primates. Some with enormous fangs, some that could rend my arms off without breaking a sweat, and others with greater intelligence than many of my coworkers. But none of frighten me like the snarling visage of a gray snub-nosed monkey (Rhinopithecus brelichi).

These monkeys are endemic to stretches of China, and are under threat due to development, pollution, and hunting.

Despite its plight, and the doughy eyes of the little one, the face of the mother is the stuff of my nightmares. It's that lipless grimace, the fetid fangs, the all-black eyes, and the nostrils that look like they belong on a human skull. I'm sure she's a sweetheart and a devoted mother, but I'd just as soon she stop staring at me like that.

Have a good weekend folks. I'm going to go read some Curious George books and pretend that all monkeys are nothing more than playful little primates.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mom's face looks like Skeletor's! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

It's like an evil mogwai!

W. A. Whipple said...

AAHH! ZOMBIE MONKEYS!!!!

Robot Nine said...

Yikes. Did I just say "Yikes"?

Anonymous said...

Looks like an alien. The baby is bald on top and it is pointing at me,weird, uhh?

Anonymous said...

I think we need to create a "Scary Overload" section!

Anonymous said...

IS THAT MICHAEL JACKSON???
No, wait, it's just a snub-nosed monkey.

Vanessa said...

They do seem a bit uninviting, don't they? I think the black eyes are what does it for me - even more than the vicious looking teeth.

Anonymous said...

No Miss Monkey, you cannot haz my soul! O_O

Anonymous said...

Just in time for the holiday season.. it's the Madonna and Child (monkey version!)

Anonymous said...

That's a golden snubed-nose. The black snubed-nose looks like death itself.

Anonymous said...

YIKES looks like a vampire monkey to me.......Wonder if it's name is BELA

Anonymous said...

IS THAT MICHEAL JACKSON???? Great observance,Tracy!!!!! Can't stop laughing!! Thank you!

Julie Zickefoose said...

Woog, she is nasty. Sort of Reba McIntyre like. Even the baby is nasty; it looks like Jason Alexander. To be fair, she might look better if she weren't scared.