Sep 13, 2007

World's Largest Terrestrial Crustacean

I may have discovered my new favorite crustacean. I am shocked that I have never heard of it before. Behold the coconut crab (birgus latro). It is derived from the hermit crab, and is the world's largest terrestrial crustacean (a title I had previously assigned to a curmudgeonly uncle of mine).

These monsters are indigenous to Indian and Pacific ocean islands. They are called coconut crabs because their pinchers are strong enough to crack coconuts, which they do to harvest the cocounut meat. They are also known as robber crabs and palm thieves, because of their propensity for stealing shiny objects and stashing them away in their hideouts. I think if my new Farberware pot was ever stolen by one of these, I'd just let it go. I don't think you can reason with them.

Photo source: K Singer via Dotars.gov.au

14 comments:

Jade said...

Entertainingly, on Wildboyz (great documentary, BTW), Steve-O let one of these pinch his ass cheek. One of the funniest damned things I've ever seen! :)

Thanks for the link to my new blog!
http://uniquevids.blogspot.com

Nebulous Grey said...

I want one.
It has absolutely GORGEOUS coloration - look at all the different shades just on one leg. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Lord of all he surveys!

Anonymous said...

Tub-o-garlic butter!!
(Even typing that made me feel sad in a hungry sort of way...)

Anonymous said...

These bad dudes *climb*trees* to get the tasty cocoanuts.

Victorya said...

oh my. If I'm ever deserted on an Island and can bring one thing - I want one of these bad boys to bring me some coconuts and shiny objects - a trained one mind you.

Arachnophile said...

That is one BAD-AZZ crab. I'd like to see Island-god version of this to go up against Cthulhu ;) I'd name him George, the Destroyer.

Anonymous said...

Better watch out when you take your thrash: http://www.kuvaton.com/kuvei/pulsu.jpg

Anonymous said...

Frigga--Do you know if this photo is for real?? I'd have a heart attack if I saw this. Seriously. So cool...

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea but it scared the crap out of me too. Just saw it couple of days ago on a finnish picture site.

Arachnophile said...

Oh, it's real! ;) heh, heeehehehe

Anonymous said...

what would happen if it got your ball sac? 8===D <---- this is a penis

Raging Wombat said...

Classy anonymous. Real classy.

Anonymous said...

OMIGOD!! if i saw this i would freak out! i came here because i wanted to show a friend this and it was in the guinness book of world records as the largest earth crustacean! Nice work, and WOW