Jul 20, 2007

Cicada Face

K has a flair for macros. K also has a flair for cicadas, as seen in these photos from a recent swarm that happened in Illinois (17 years in the making!).

This first photo is of a cicada molting from its beetle-looking larval form into its fly-looking adult form. Oh, so much to look forward to, little cicada.

The second shot is of the cross-eyed face of an adult cicada. No insects look particularly cute or pretty up close, but cicadas don't even try. If they weren't so big I might like them more.

This last shot is of K, complete with nose piercing and a cicada-on-the-tongue adornment. They are all the rage in my neighborhood.

Thanks for the photos, K.










10 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAACCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Anonymous said...

Cicadas are so very cool and I guess I've only seen the beetle-larvae stage that makes me want to run screaming down the street (potential crunch-factor-phobia). Didn't know the adults looked like this or that they developed a human tongue to sit on...
Great photos!!

Arachnophile said...

I wish we had these up here, where I live. Seriously cool critter.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see K try that with the tarantula!

Anonymous said...

Dear other Anon- I have!! This June, in Costa Rica, in fact. It's pedipalps seemed to gravitate towards that septum ring.

~K

Anonymous said...

K --
You are joking, right?

Anonymous said...

pkeli-
No, No I'm not. At a little rest area near Sarapiqui, CR, we stopped fer drinks and bathrooms, and the little girl there owned a Velvet Costa Rican tarantula. Not only did I hold it- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58664026/ - but someone laid me down and put it on my face, too.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, K! That is one gorgeous tarantula! I'd love to hold one too but I'm in awe of your bravery in having one run loose on your face.

Anonymous said...

Pkeli-
They are actually very calm, curious critters! I was a little nervous, to be sure....but it just wanted to see what was up with my ring, and my eyebrows. They are wonderful as pets, too- this one was even wild caught! As long as you treat them with respect, they will NEVER bite. (and even if they do, it is extremely rare to be fatal. Some people don't even go to the hospital.)
-K

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, K. If I ever get a chance to get close and personal with a tarantula I hope someone like you is there for encouragement.