Feb 20, 2007

Ugly Tigerfish, Studying Student

You're looking into the gaping maw of hydrocynus vittatus. This literally means 'striped water dog', but I think the common name of tigerfish is more appropriate. This avidly hunted African fish (see the happy fishermen below) is of particular significance to Morgan, who plans on spending this summer in the Congo studying fish.

I hope, I hope, I hope, Morgan, that should you encounter one of these in the wild, that it won't be this same view you see below. I wouldn't wish that on any Evolutionary Biology major! Good luck in your travels and studies. Maybe you can come back with some photos of the aquatic creatures you end up studying.

Thanks for the links, Morgan.

Photos courtesy: JCPoiret.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw shit! At first I saw just the first picture and though no, not again these beasts of the deep! But then the text said something about HAPPY FISHERMEN, and I scrolled down...

Oh god that's ugly. It's like those deformed white tigers except IT ISN'T deformed!

The fishermen are propably in such a deep shock that their faces are twisted in a smile-like grin.

Goalzilla said...

You know, the post could be scarier if you left out the comma on the title: Ugly Tigerfish Studying Student. That implies intelligence that goes witht the teeth.

Smart things have no business having fangs. It "just ain't right".

morgan said...

Aww, thank you! I feel very welcome!
I guarantee you're going to be getting a whole bunch more 'ugly' things now...

I just noticed this, but I like how one of the teeth is broken. That first picture just has a very funny character about it. When I showed it to Becca for the first time, I pretended it was making Muppet sounds. I don't know if she thought it was so funny.

Raging Wombat said...

How can you go wrong with Muppet sounds and a tigerfish? Oh well.