Feb 13, 2007

Minimalist Amphibian

Prepare for your next installment of the Rasmus Amphibian Regimen...

I'm amazed at how many non-reptiles sport the snake look. It's been all the rage for eons now. Take the rubber eel, for instance. Also known as the Sicilian Worm (a great name!), the rubber eel is a South American, nocturnal critter. All rubber eels are completely limbless, and the majority of the species are also tailless. That just leaves an ugly, snake-like head-and-trunk combo. Now that's minimalist.

If I had one, I'd name it 'Bob.' (what do you call a guy with no arms and no legs who is floating in the water?)

Thanks for the photo, Rasmus.

Photo courtesy: Gymnophiona.org

6 comments:

Goalzilla said...

I've read that these guys can pack a nasty bite. It's a two-fer: ugly on the inside and ugly on the outside!

Anonymous said...

Since this is from gymnophiona.org, I take it this is an aquatic caecilian and not an amphiuma?

Studying all these guys in my herpetology class right now ... Such neat critters!

I know it's not an amphibian, but I'd like to see the amphisbaenian profiled on this site ... I bet a lot of people have never even heard of 'em ;)

Goalzilla said...

Yes, worm lizards seconded!

Anonymous said...

my sister used to have these in her aquarium and they were hand-fed, so they don't actually bite -at least the ones we had didn't - but they also had a nasty habit of somehow getting out of the tank. but now i can't find them anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I take care of a Mexican Burrowing Caecilian at my work. Ours does not bite nor is it at all agressive, only very slimy with an aversion to light. Ours, too, must remain locked up tight as it can escape quite easily.

Caecilians (Gymnophiona) are one of three extant orders in the class Amphibia, including Frogs & Toads (Anura) and Salamanders & Newts (Caudata). Worms are invertebrates, Eels are fish, and snakes/lizards (Squamates) are reptiles. I know, I'm a nerd, but I get paid to be one!! It's great!

Raging Wombat said...

I am jealous of your occupation, Zoology nerd. Beats accounting any time of day. Though, I do deal with slimy creatures that sun the light of day quite often...