Feb 4, 2007

Perfect Name

I cannot explain how much I like this animal, or rather, this baby. Callum sent me this link, and my world has changed.

Behold the puggle. No, not the all-the-rave beagle-pug hybrid. This is a baby echidna. Echidnas and platypus are the only Australian marsupials to lay eggs, which is one possible reason as to why their offspring were given their own name: puggle. Don't Aussie animals have some great names? When puggles hatch, they only measure about 1.3 cm and about 0.3 of a gram (that's tiny, y'all).

My only disappointment here is that there aren't better images on the web. I'll offer my eternal esteem (that's priceless, baby) for whoever can dig up some quality puggle shots.


Photos courtesy: Fourth Crossing Wildlife

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tres cool! My husband petted an echidna at the San Diego Zoo a few years back; I don't know if that was allowed, but if they didn't want people petting them, they shouldn't have put them within arm's reach!
Da puggles are definitely less pokey.

Anonymous said...

Echidnas and platypuses (platypi?) are not marsupials. They are egg laying mammals, a.k.a. monotremes. Kinda cute for hairless, eyeless rats with duck bills though.

Dragonpearl said...

this guy is currently caring for a puggle.

http://dewhitton.livejournal.com/

Jack Ruttan said...

It's that drummer guy from the Star Wars band!

(Actually, I know the character name and the movie, but am trying to seem like less of a geek than I've already proven to be).

Jack Ruttan said...

The Dad? - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Max_Rebo

Tamora Pierce said...

Poor little nekkid baby! Luckily he'll grow spikes and get back at everyone who laughed at his nekkidity!

Anonymous said...

No, no, no. It's not some blue pianist from Star Wars. It's clearly Zorg's pet from Fifth Element.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the Max Rebo contingent, but will we really, really know until its adult coloration comes in? :)

Jack Ruttan said...

Zorg's pet looks like what you'd get if you crossed that puggle with Robert de Niro.