Aug 1, 2007

Poor Temperament

I know camels have a reputation for being the surliest of the Camelidae family, but I fear they have unduly overshadowed the llama. I've had enough encounters with the New World camelid to know that they can be cantankerous. And I think this guy's face proves it.

Did you know that scientists have successfully crossbred camels with llamas a couple of times? It only works when the male is a Dromedary (artificial insemination is required), but since both species have 74 chromosomes, there is potential for the Cama (as the hybrid is known) to be fertile, thus spawning a new work animal (they already have half Dromedary / half Bactrians called Bukhts). But, alas, the cama inherited the 'poor temperament' of both parents. Lovely.

Thanks for the photo, Jared.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This thing just radiates 'pissy'. It's just looking for a reason to use the llama and camel spitting skills on you. Food was ten minutes late? That'll be a spittin'. Put the harness on me again? You'll get a spittin' for that too. I FEEL like it? You can sure bet that'll be a spittin'.

Yep. I'm sure of it.
~Kit

Moominmama said...

i think he looks quite chilled out.

but maybe that's because he reminds me of my ex! :-)

Anonymous said...

Kinda reminds me of the obnoxious, grouchy old lady that I had to deal with at work today...

--TwoDragons