Sep 18, 2010

Your Weekend Antelope Snouts



I could say that I posted this picture because of the important news that an international conservation treaty has been signed to preserve the saiga antelope, which is threatened both by demand from the market for traditional medicine, and by a disease that killed about 12,000 of them in Kazakhstan earlier this year.

But really, it's just an excuse. This blog can't have too many pictures of saiga antelope, don't you think?

Snoutily,
-Wombat (No Relation)

Photo from The Guardian's Week in Wildlife.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Never too many saiga. Rock it, guys!

Unknown said...

This animal reminds me of a Star Wars creature.

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

strange looking animule...

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Durante!!!

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

hahahahaaaa!!!! that's hysterical!! and so right!! jimmy durante!!!! great!!

Anonymous said...

They remind me of animals that would be on the cover of a sci-fi novel illustrating strange, alien worlds.

Nature Girl, April said...

"Snoutily"? Ah, I see... you wrote it with your nose!

Carly said...

Saigas are so adorable, their huge dangly noses make me want to eskimo kiss them.