Apr 9, 2010

Oriental Yeti Not Found

I am amazed at the state of journalism today. Quite a few news sources covered the 'discovery' of what has been called the 'Oriental yeti' out of central China. Telegraph.co.uk simply presented the animal as if an over-exuberant cryptozoologist had written the press release. Others did the same.


I had to do a fair amount of digging before I found a proper write up. At last, the Christian Science Monitor had a proper treatment of this beast.

Sadly, it's no yeti. Bigfoot and Loch Ness Monster hunters can focus their energies elsewhere. We're most likely faced with a civet with the mange.

Instances of creatures caught or sighted with the mange have led to all sorts of speculations and myths. Most likely the chupacabra is nothing more than the occasional mange-ridden quadruped spotted in the distance.

Thanks for the Oriental yeti, Jade and Ida. I'd hate to see what Chinese officials did with me if they caught me in the hinterlands on one of my bad-hair days.


8 comments:

Sabina E. said...

that poor animal. I hope it gets humane treatment.

Raging Wombat said...

It's in China (strike one) and is going in for DNA testing (strike two). If someone decides that its galls stones, bile, or unmentionables aid in virility, then that'll be strike three.

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that directly under the title of this blog it says "We avoid the simply tragic, diseased, or maimed." Normally I enjoy the posts as they contain interesting animals which people do not always appreciate. But, it would be nice if you stuck to your avoiding of diseased animals. It is sad to see this poor guy.

Raging Wombat said...

That's right. I avoid the simply tragic, diseased, or maimed. If I feel that posting on an afflicted creature serves a better purpose, then I post on it. In this instance, I wanted to comment on the state of journalism and also a bit on cryptozoology. I avoid these things because UgO isn't a freakshow. It's entertainment and education.
Believe me, if you saw how much horror and sadness I've had to filter out from submissions over the course of more than four years of running this blog, your eyes would blister.

Laura said...

mangy civet is mangy.

B.L. Covey said...

They'll probably just use its gall bladder and penis in some sort of medicine....maybe it's tail in some sort of "traditional" soup

Anonymous said...

Thanks for explaining about the educational part of it! That makes sense. Eyes blistering doesn't sound good at all! I hope your eyes make it!

Raging Wombat said...

Yeah, even with the educational aspect, I still hesitate to post on these kind of critters. I don't want to peddle in sadness. But, we're all grown ups here (except for those of us who aren't). :)