Apr 15, 2010

@*^$# -- It's What's For Dinner!

I'm eating pizza right now. I'm happy. So, why, OH WHY, do I post during my lunch break? Why do I post on a photo like this? Take a look at the plate closely. Look closer. I see frogs, tarantulas giant water bugs, and a cricket/grasshopper of some sort. Am I missing something?


Were these all cooked up in one batch? Fried, sauteed, or grilled? Steamed? Roasted? Why am I looking so close, when I've got a delicious lunch right in front of me? I'm self-abusive, that's what I am.

6 comments:

C.B. said...

They could have at least garnished it. Try to detract from all those legs.

VM Sehy Photography said...

When we were in Japan we stayed at a Ryokan which is like a bed and breakfast. For supper the first night they served a couple of fried crickets. (And other stuff fortunately or I'd have starved.) I so badly wanted to try and toss those back just for the sake of having a really good story to tell forever, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Also, I couldn't figure out if they were dessert or garnish or an appetizer. So between the confusion and the gross out factor, those crickets remained on my plate.

Unknown said...

LOL! Most all were Fried (Stir Fry or Deep Fried). Cooked separately from each other. A friend had some people visiting and we purposely took them to the market to hand select these beauties. They were good sports and tried all of these, and more. Thanks for the link back to my flickr. :D

Keith

Raging Wombat said...

Wow. Cricket garnish. Never would have thought of that.

And thank you, Keith. Great photo!

Unknown said...

I had a chocolate covered cricket once, it wasn't really anything special :\ I'd totally try anything on that plate! om nom nom

Realityhelix said...

I hear cooked ants taste like almonds. Also, I think the lower left quadrant of that plate has some kind of rodent. I see mammal-shaped legs paired with what seem to be tails.