Apr 4, 2010

Ogre-Face

Behold the glorious visage of the ogre-faced spider (family Deinopidae). These spiders are unique in the arachnid world for their method of catching prey. The are found worldwide in the tropics.

Photo source: G. McGavin via BBC


















They hang face down with a rectangular net dangling between their feet. When an unsuspecting insect rolls by, the spider presses the web on them, and the insect is ensnared. The web isn't sticky. It's so wooly that the prey gets entangled.

I used similar techniques to ensnare my younger siblings when I was going through a ... more aggressive phase of my childhood, using blankets and sheets. And, by coincidence, my siblings came up with a variety of nicknames for me: stupid-face, dumb-face, ugly-face, and, yes, ogre-face.

Thanks for leading me to this little monster, Tom.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a sleestak spider! Ruuuunnnn!!!

Danielle said...

STEP ON IT!

C.B. said...

The web is pretty cool.
But those eyes.
I just had to look at this before bed.

Isabelle said...

I would DEFINITELY die if I saw one of these in front of me. DIE IMEDIATELY.

the ginabean said...

You need to add a Reaction button that means something along the lines of "freaky" or "terrifying." Just sayin'...

Unknown said...

did anyone else notice anything odd about pic 2? I swear the damned thing is frowning at us...

BugLady said...

That childhood story had my laughing out loud like an idiot over here tehehehe. Amazing spider.

Anonymous said...

looks like a storm trooper from far away! great photos.