Jan 26, 2009

Lying in a Nest of Scorpions

A lot of us are looking to carve out a little niche for ourselves on the stage of life. Maybe find a little fame, perhaps a little fortune. It's hard though. You've got to find something you're decent at doing, maybe find something no one else is willing to do, and try to be the first one to do it. Novelty can take you places.

Kanchana Kaetkaew has done just that...

Thailand's 'Scorpion Queen' Kanchana Kaetkaew, 38, poses with scorpions inside a glass room at the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum in Pattaya, January 24, 2009. Kanchana set a new 33 day record for the longest stay with 5,000 live adult scorpions from December 22, 2008 to January 24, 2009. REUTERS/Sukree Sukplang (THAILAND)


So to you, Ms. Scorpion Queen, I tip my hat. Hey, your gig beats blogging any day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno, probably just me, but I hate it when people do stuff like this. It just feels so cheap and unimaginative. Now if she had scarfed down those 5000 live scorpions in a short amount of time, then I'd be more impressed, but just staying in a room with them..... meh

Zanna said...

LOL LisaL, how jaded we've all become! But you have to admit, she does have a certain visual appeal that the dude in the glass room full of poisonous snakes back in the '70s lacked... what was his name? Oh well, I guess it doesn't always get you *that* famous...

Jack Ruttan said...

But will she get to meet "The Rock?"

Raging Wombat said...

I sure hope she does, Jack.

Vanessa said...

Emperor Scorpions are really quite docile and don't have a tendency to sting or clamp you unless they are irritated and in defensive mode.
I hate that they are used this way, I hope they are well cared for.

SiddX said...

ug, reminds me of being in costa rica when my poor grandmother walked out the house and turned around to close the door. At which point the rest of the family noticed the scorpian crawling up her back.

The Gravekeeper said...

Maybe it's just me, but this isn't as impressive as the representative for the Royal Alberta Museum's insect collection I saw at a reptile show and sale. As I recall, he had a large walking stick crawling freely all over him, a couple of tarantulas, at least one praying mantis that was also taking a stroll on him, and three or four scorpions that he'd take out (bare hands) to show to people. During one such demonstration, he was discussing how it's often scorpions with small claws and large stingers that are dangerous to people, all the while poking one WITH HIS BARE FINGER that fit that exact description. He himself even commented that he really shouldn't be doing that, seeing as how it was a venomous species that'd claimed human lives, and it was a new member of the collection, so it wasn't used to people yet. I'm just glad all it did was cringe and try to make itself as small and flat as possible.

The same guy was later seen putting another scorpion in his mouth and explaining that it was actually quite happy in there, seeing as how it was a warm, small, dark, and damp space.

I've considered getting a pet scorpion, but I don't think I could ever get THAT friendly with them.