May 2, 2008

Turtle in Soft Shell, Albino Power

You're looking at a pure albino Chinese softshell turtle. I had a variety of reactions when I first saw this photo, ranging from a physical flinch to a visceral urge to get away.

Evidently, though, those who personally know this particular creature, which is housed in Mr. Wah's facilities in Malaysia, think very highly of it. If you can't judge a book by its cover, then you can't judge a softshell turtle by its pinkish pig flesh.

Thanks for the photo, Ida.

Photo source: Mr. Wah via Chelydra.org

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ew. EWWW. Flaccid.

Katie said...

Heh. My first reaction was an awed, gasped, "Oh, he's gorgeous!"

I love softshells. I have a softshell poster on my wall, and a friend made me a foam rubber softshell that sits on my desk. It's a pancake with a snorkel nose! What's not to love?

Arallyn said...

Penis in a shell. With arms. And 2 eyes.

Anonymous said...

Normally I love turtles and tortoises (we have 6 three toed box turtles at home) but this is just ugly and kinda gross looking...

Sleepydumpling said...

Ok now that thing is just creepy! It looks like some gross thing that would be served as a delicacy in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in a dingy Chinese street.

Arachnophile said...

I'm sure it's got a wonderful personality. ;)

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who failed this particular Rorschach test.

Gilligan Dorito said...

Whoa! Get that turtle a Mohel, stat!

Unknown said...

It looks naked. weird!

Anthony said...

That's a lovely little fellow. The only beautiful things in this world are what nature creates. People are the ugly and disgusting things that ruin it.

Raging Wombat said...

Sounds like you're having a rough day, Anthony.

Anonymous said...

it looks like an un-cercumsized penis