May 18, 2008

Neurotoxic

I can't call the Blue Ringed Octopus ugly, strictly speaking. But, it is a mollusk, and it is one of the most venomous creatures out there. To quote TutzTutz:

The painless bite from a Blue Ringed Octopus may seem innocuous, however the deadly neurotoxins in the animals saliva immediately begin working. Within a few minutes, a human will experience muscular weakness, numbness, followed by a cessation and breathing and ultimately death.


I believe this critter was featured in Michael Crichton's State of Fear.

Thanks for the link, Danielle.

Photo source: TutzTutz.com

7 comments:

Annica said...

Wow! Octopusses eh... Octopi... euh Octopussies are so beautiful! I have a little (dead) one in a bottle and I adore it!

Jack Ruttan said...

People say I have the heart of a little boy ...

Er, what I was saying, nice paisley octopopple.

sandy said...

Yeah, I loved that book!!

Kit said...

I was researching octopi the weekend to, and also found that this one was poisonous. Sadly, most octopus (in general) only live a year or two before dying. And they are insane escape artists. Mark that down as another facinating sea animal my tank collection can't sustain.

Yvonne Navarro said...

My, it looks almost patriotic. And I have to ask: no antivenom available?

Shay said...

Wow...that is beautiful! It looks like something out of a children's book! wow.

rosewing said...

hahaha i was think thats something ugly made from rubber