Jan 3, 2006

Playing Dead

Don't worry, this possum isn't dead. It is doing what all North American Possums are famous for - playing dead. Or, maybe it just caught a glimpse of itself in the mirror and has passed out.

Regardless of its status, it is ugly. These marsupials can actually be cute as youngsters. At least, that is what I thought until I was bitten by one when I was young myself.

Naked rat tail, oversized head, pointy teeth, hissing noise when cornered, skulks around in the darkness, ends up as roadkill on a lot of U.S. streets - yep, a recipe for ugly.

Photo courtesy: www.opossumsocietyus.org.


Yu The Great said...

OMG! So that's what they look like! Somehow, in all these years, I've never once seen one, even in pictures! LOL!

Cinder6 said...

"I call the big one Bitey."

-Homer Simpson