Dec 21, 2007

Mele Kalikimaka

Today is Friday. It is my last day of work before a four day weekend. That makes me happy. How synchronistic was it then, that Danielle sent me a photo of one of the happiest creepy crawlies around.

Say hello to the happy face spider (Theridion grallator). They are native--surprise, surprise--to several of the Hawaiian islands. They call it the nananana makakiʻi. So, if you find yourself suffering from the holiday blues, just think of this happy mother. If she can find happiness, so can you.

Thanks for the photo, Danielle.

Photo source: Frost Fire Seeds

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was fake at first... hey, she has two smiley's! And the smaller one has a dunce cap!

Unknown said...

Awww! If there weren't so many people terrified of spiders, I could see this on Cute Overload. But I've heard that CO has a strict no-spider policy... =(

Christina Acker said...

Well.. it's perfect for Adorabugs!
The eyebrows crack me up!

Danielle Lea said...

it's not a happy smile, it's a diabolical, EVIL smile.

Anonymous said...

I wish my butt was that happy!!!

Jade said...

erin- Yeah. They won't allow spiders on. I've sent them some very cute ones and they flat out insulted me for finding them cute. That's why I won't go to the site anymore.

This spider is one of my all-time favorite creepy crawlies. That face is just too adorable!

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd say it, but there's a spider that's CUTE.

I'm not afraid of them or anything (being the designated god-get-that-out-of-my-house-before-I-kill-it person in my home) but I don't exactly find them pretty...