Jul 10, 2009

Hypnotic Eyes

Opo Terser is one of those photographers who I envy. He's one of those photographers that make the world a better place. Why? Because of photos like this, and his detailed description of the intricacies of what he observed and how he took the photo. Read here for more.

Photo by Opo Terser


















You're looking into the colorful eyes of a female Maevia inclemens, though to me she would no doubt look like any other jumping spider. Opo has observed, and this shot proves it, that many jumping spiders have amazing colors in their eyes, though not many as much as M. inclemens. Opo noted through his view finder that a wave of red oscillated across the eyes as the retinas shifted beneath the lenses. That would be absolutely hypnotizing to watch.

It's probably for the best that these salticids are so tiny. Otherwise they'd make for the most amusing and distracting pets.

Thanks, Opo.

9 comments:

Laura said...

i truly wish jumpers were a bit bigger. i'd love to have one in a terrarium.


...of course i'd never get anything done since i'd just watch her all day long, but that's beside the point. :)

linty said...

Opo is awesome!
I've got to say though I don't think he's ever shown a bug in a way that makes it look ugly.

Unknown said...

I can't believe it. A spider picture that I immediately set as my computer's wallpaper.

katie ann said...

This photograph is amazing, as is the spider. When I showed it to my husband, he thought it was something from Pixar. How small are these spiders, then?

Cat said...

More jumping spiders, please! I love them!

Anonymous said...

These eyes cry every night for you
These arms long to hold you again
The hurtin's on me yeah
But I will never be free
No my baby no no
You gave a promise to me yeah
You broke it - you broke it
These eyes watched you bring
My world to an end
This heart could not accept and pretend
The hurtin's on me yeah
But I will never be free no no no
You took a vow with me yeah
You spoke it - you spoke it
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you
These eyes cry every night for you
These arms long to hold you again
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you
These eyes are crying
These eyes have seen a lot of love
But their never gonna see another
One like I had with you

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm normally terrified of spiders, but I love this!

Pepper said...

LOL @ the posted song lyrics

I'm with all of the other commenters on this. This is a beautiful shot of the jumping spider. It looks beautiful here.

Anonymous said...

It is looking so beautiful.I never have seen this.It is looking friendly.

peter

-----------
Free Satellite TV