Feb 13, 2008

Clear Intentions

Christine took these photos of a spitfire caterpillar (Lepidoptera sp.? Doratifera sp.?) in Sockton, NSW, Australia.

I'm having a hard time telling up from down, topside from underbelly, and left from right on this thing. I can't orient myself. But in the end, that doesn't matter. They're called spitfires for a reason. Not because they literally spit fire (that particular talent can be found in my 2-year-old daughter), but because those spines hurt if you brush against them.

You've got to love a big juicy grub that looks a bit like guano and then zaps you if you get too close. His intentions are very clear. He doesn't want to be bothered.

Thanks for the photo, Christine.


6 comments:

Jenn said...

Are those white lumps wasp eggs?

TheFragrantElf said...

I wouldn't bother this little guy if you paid me! I'm not sure what those white lumps are either, but they sure do add to the ugly element.

LA Nickers said...

Gee . . . I feel much better now, thanks. Maybe I will go without makeup today! ;-)

Jack Ruttan said...

It looks like a bus designed by Jim Woodring.

Raging Wombat said...

That's a very good question, Jenn. They might be.

killerisation said...

Does the last pic remind anyone else of the underside of a football boot?