Sep 26, 2007

Rock Snot

Chris sent me this article on an algae plague that is running rampant across many parts of the globe. I know, I know, algae isn't an animal, but this is Ugly Overload and I am an equal opportunity purveyor in ugly beings.

This algae (Didymosphenia geminata), has been dubbed 'rock snot'. You can't ask for a better name for this invasive plant. It's posing a real threat to many aquatic ecosystems, since it smothers food supplies to insects, which in turn may endanger fish populations. The real kicker is that there is no real way to stop it. Algae is a single-celled, noxious organism that can be spread from pond to stream to lake with ease.

Rock snot. I think I used to call my brother that. I think I also used to call him a single-celled, noxious organism. Life comes around full circle some times.

Thanks for the link, Chris.

Photo source: MSNBC

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This goes with the "snot otter" pictured below. I think you're developing a theme--"Snot in Nature" or something like that.

Arachnophile said...

Yup, this stuff SUCKS, big-time, outside of it's natural habitat. It deserves NO MERCY. It's spreading as fast as such critters can -- which is VERY fast.

This is from someone whose bestest friend is a Phycologist. Anything outside of it's home range is EVIL (unless it dies). Go Figure!

Arachnophile said...

I can send you a video of a nematod that is happily called "Rock Snot" too. ;)

Anonymous said...

AAACK! Spam snot! Spam Snot! Make it go away!

Victorya said...

So I guess it's not true that a fool and his rock snot are soon parted?