Feb 8, 2011

And speaking of ants


I was thinking it was wrong to post about ants twice in a row, but I just stumbled upon the amazing blog Myrmecos, which you all need to know about.

I can have my cake crumbs and eat them too, though, because - and I am about to blow your mind - that picture is NOT an ant. It's an ant mimic which is actually a crab spider (which, while not a crab, is a spider. Thank goodness there's one thing we can count on here).

There's actually a lot of cool not-ant stuff on the blog, like the Friday Beetle, and a recent guess-the-species that featured this amazing stick insect:


But there's no shortage of ants - get over there right now for Army Ant Week. You won't regret it.

-Wombat (No Relation)

5 comments:

Joseph JG said...

The stick insect is actually a grasshopper! Their called jumping sticks because of the sticky shape. If you get a normal grasshopper and stretch its head out, it would look like that. You'd have to do it in your imagination though. It probably wouldn't work out if you tried it in reality.

The Forest Minstrel said...

Eeeeewwwwwwww! Gross! Cool, but gross! Love it! (and, of course, now I have *further* reasons to fear spiders!)

Anonymous said...

this stick insect reminds me of the sesame street twiddle bugs

Anonymous said...

this stick insect reminds me of the sesame street twiddle bugs

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

oh i LOVE bugs!! i've tried to get pic's of crab spiders...but have never seen a black one. ours are orange-ish and white. but they're too small for me to get a good pic!

and the stick bugs...cool! even if this one's really a grasshopper! very cool!