Oct 25, 2008

Louse Tongue

Cymothoa exigua has the dubious distinction of being one of the only parasites on the planet that actually replaces one of the host animal's organs.

Upon entering the spotted rosesnapper's mouth, the nubile sea louse attaches itself to the fish's tongue and starts feeding off the tongue's blood. As C. exiqua grows, the tongue atrophies and falls off. But the sea louse remains, firmly grasping the stump of the tongue. The fish is actually able to move and use the sea louse as if it were its own tongue, and sustains no additional harm.

From what I've read, C. exigua only latches on to the spotted rosesnapper's tongue. How does such a specific parasitism arise? Are they too good for other fish? Is there something extra fancy about spotted rosesnapper tongue?

I imagine that when spotted rosesnappers go out on dates, one of the first things they ask each other--certainly before the first kiss--is if they have a sea louse tongue. That might be a deal breaker for some.

Thanks for the photo, Jelo.

19 comments:

Nervavels said...

I never thought I'd ever say this: I could SO have done without that visual.... gah.

Anonymous said...

That is truly disturbing.

Anonymous said...

i dunno why but that just makes me angry...

stupid parasites *grumbles*

Anonymous said...

Haha. ALIEN!

Anonymous said...

Fish 1: Why that's just... just...

Fish 2: What's the matter? Sea louse got your tongue?

Hauntedmansion138 said...

That is the stomach burster from Alien. How weird and incredibly disturbing

Anonymous said...

I Don't know about that particular species, but there is a tongue louse that can be found on fish in the Pacific. I know that it has been found on Ling Cod (Ophiodon olongatus ) ehre in California and as I recall, some other species.

Anonymous said...

ooops... Ophiodon elongatus

Anonymous said...

That is SO cool! It's right out of ALIENS!

Unknown said...

Can anyone tell me why it appears to have human teeth?

Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me why it appears to have human teeth?

Well, teeth are actually modified scales. Since we have fishy ancestors, perhaps the question is "why do we appear to have fishy teeth."

Sleepydumpling said...

Ok that thing is going to have me waking in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, I am SURE.

JEEPERS!!

Raging Wombat said...

Sea louse got your tongue?

Love it, Leigh!

Anonymous said...

Parasitical. Absorbing nutrients from the body.

Why do I have images of an elite class within the USA sucking wealth and power from the body of the masses of commoners laboring for their money vice skimming from the top while performing little to nothing useful as the USA elite class does?

Anonymous said...

Okay, is it me or is that sea louse actually smiling for the camera ? It actually looked kinda cute that way, tongue eating notwithstanding.

Ahmed

HyunChard said...

I've been searching about head lice, suddenly I arrived to this post. Very true. Thanks to this post I now have an idea on how to deal with it. I enjoyed reading, though I have nothing to deal with this.

david_dvdson said...

OMG That looks so nasty, and ive seen worse things out there. i mean i thought louse are for the skin and not the tongue. ewwww

head lice treatment said...

I hope you can continue this type of hard work to this site in future also..Because this blog is really very informative and it helps me lot.

Jacob Jacob said...

I am absolutely amazed at how terrific the stuff is on this site. I have saved this webpage and I truly intend on visiting the site in the upcoming days. Keep up the excellent work!
christmas flowers